View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmtsguy22
R3 was on the ground for 2 minutes after the collison happened and play ended.
2 MINUTES! You've got to be exagerating a little here.

Did anybody check the runner to see if he was dead?

I could easily see two separate at-bats, and subsequent plays, taking place during two minutes. Did any other runners trip over him? He must have been lying in foul territory - no worry about the batted ball hitting him.

In all seriousness, I would assume that the first runner in to home (called out on the force) was likely picking up the bat to get it out of the way for the next runner... collision occurred. There is no subversion here - incidental contact; play continues.

As the plate ump, when I think there is going to be a play at home, I always try to take the ONE second to kick the bat towards the dugout. If I don't get it on the first attempt, I leave it alone and might stand close to it and say to the runner "watch out for the bat." as he goes by. You can't spend time looking away and reaching for the bat - a quick flick of the foot is the greatest effort I will make.