View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

The unprofessional posts notwithstanding, I can see the merits of both sides of this debate. Personally, I'm not sure this is a T. I think the chair was tipped over, not thrown. No eye contact with the officials....hmmm. But the coach also has to realize that you can't take actions that subject you to the judgment of the officials, because sometimes said judgment may not go in your favor. I don't mind the call, I just don't think I would have called it.

Going a little deeper, tmagan made a great point that was also reflected by an announcing crew during one of the games yesterday (can't remember which one):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
The problem is, in the regular season that is not called. About six weeks ago, I was watching a game in where Chris Collins of Northwestern and Pat Driscoll were going jaw to jaw over a non-goaltending call. No technical foul was called.

This has been brought up before, when you have one set of supervisors for the regular season, and a separate set for the NCAA tournament where there is more pressure to call this creates problems.
It's a psychological reality that you call the game differently, even if subconsciously, when you know that instead of your season-long body of work being judged, for the most part, your advancement in the tournament is whittled down to game-by-game performance. Are there some exceptions? Yes. John Adams knows who his tried and true veterans from Regional Finals or higher games are, and they can maybe be just a little more relaxed (just don't make a truly awful call and you're probably safe). For the rest of 'em, every call in a single game is harshly scrutinized.

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with advancement evaluations within the tournament itself. I'm just saying that if such a system is in place, some of these odd moments that we see every year are going to come with the territory. Intense pressure sometimes makes officials (just like players) behave abnormally.