View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 15, 2015, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Ok, let's just assume the ball didn't hit the rim which it may have. On a play like this, the shot clock is improperly reset. Player scores. So a ref can waive it off. But then let's say it isn't and the ball is inbounded. Coach is screaming, ref realize they made a mistake. Can they stop play and correct the shot clock mistake, waive off the basket?
I need more information, and this is a HTBT kind of play. Because they didn't blow the ball dead as soon as they realized a shot clock expiration should have taken place, I can only assume they were either completely unaware of the shot clock status, or they judged the ball may have grazed the rim, hence permitting the reset.

If I'm 100% sure the ball missed the rim and I know for sure the put back wouldn't have been in time, then I blow it dead, call the SC violation, and we move on.

If for some reason I choke, but then we get together within the correctable error timeframe and confirm this was an error, than this is a failure to properly cancel a score and the error can be corrected. Then ball at POI and we play on.

I find this article to be very slanted toward the aggrieved team and coach, so I'm not putting too much stock into it. The officials probably saw it differently from 10 feet away than the coach did from 50 feet away. He deserved his T.