View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Doing it my way I've never had confusion either, so the early whistle procedure would have absolutely zero value added and only causes confusion in the places I work. I've done quite a few games where a partner blew the whistle while the shot was in the air and clearly released before time expired, and everyone thought that meant they were waving off the shot.

And there was no confusion in the OP, everyone knew he waved off the basket. Your procedure actually has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in the video.
There is absolute confusion as the whistle and wave off were after the ball when through the basket. If he was waving it off from the get go, should we not have been hearing a whistle a little sooner? That is where the confusion comes in. To be honest, I don't think there is much dispute that the ball was out of the shooter's hand when the horn sounds.

A whistle while the ball is in the air, whether at the end of a quarter or on an off-ball foul during the game, mean the exact same thing. Some understand that, others don't, that's not a surprise. Just because 'everyone' thinks something, doesn't really matter does it.

The fact that you cannot connect the dots with what I'm saying and how it relates to the OP, doesn't mean it's not there. It just means you don't see it, and frankly I'm not surprised.

And for the record, I've never once said that my method is best or the only way to handle things. It is only how I handle this situation, and that it has been very effective for me. I have only offered up a suggestion, something to consider, maybe try it in a lower level game and make a decision from there, or maybe just disregard it altogether, whatever..... Everyone here is a big person and can make there own decision and judgment on what's best for him/her.

There are officials out there, and I've worked with many, that have the mechanic of not having a whistle at all to end a quarter.The fact is the FED has not spelled out a standard mechanic or procedure for a whistle end of quarters, so I don't see where anyone, especially here, has absolute authority to say what is the correct mechanic/procedure and what isn't.