View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Yes, because it adds clarity for me as to the location of ball at the time I blow my whistle. I believe it enhances cognitive awareness to what needs absolute attention, the location of the ball at the time the horn sounds. The mechanics I have chosen to use over the past 18+ years are for one reason only, to put myself in the best situation possible to get the play correct and I believe this particular one has never let me down and it has never left a coach (winning or losing) in a state of confusion.

The calling official waited a full second, if not longer, to blow his whistle after the horn, try for goal was over, and still waves it off??

Now THAT is added confusion....
You're correct. I'm in my office and watched on mute. Blowing the whistle that late does add confusion. My mistake in reference to the video.

However, where the ball is when you blow your whistle has absolutely no bearing on the play. All that matters is the status of the ball when time expires. Your whistle is after the expiration of time so it really doesn't help you pinpoint the proper time.

The best practice is to have a mental count so that you are not caught off guard and can know where the ball is at the exact time of expiration. I always keep a mental count so that I am not surprised by the horn. In reality, I think your focus on blowing the whistle helps you because it keeps you focused on not being surprised by the horn. If that works for you, great. But from my experience this is not a mechanic that would be approved in many places. When in Rome...