Thread: Under cutting?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 04, 2015, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
NCAA: "Every player shall be entitled to a spot on the playing court, provided that such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent" (4-17.3).

NFHS: "Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court, provided the *player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent" (4-37-3).

NBA: "In all guarding situations, a player is entitled to any spot on the court he desires, provided he legally gets to that spot first and without contact with an opponent" (NBA Comments on the Rules, II-A-2, page 57)

Let's not pretend the rule sets are so different. The only difference is that the NCAA has a case play and the NFHS does not. I would call the OP a foul under both rule sets, it's pretty clear that a defender laying on the floor is not in LGP.
I'm in full agreement. I disagree with BadNewsRef that 4-37-3 (which by the way is also verbatim within 4-23-1) somehow provides the answer that this isn't a foul in high school, because the content of the rule is the same as NCAAM 4-17.3 where it apparently is a foul.

I hear there's an old NFHS interpretation outside of the case book that says this isn't a foul. It's late and I'm not going to look it up. If it's there, Mary Struckhoff probably put it there. Golly gee I love all those unofficially official rulings that she saw fit not to put in the case book...