View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 11:37am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Thanks for the clarifications. I know I'm using strong words here and don't want it to sound like an attack. I'm just offering my opinion and hope its helpful.

I'm having a difficult time imagining a quick underhand throw of the ball "hard" enough that would make me T the coach. And I have a better understanding of what you mean by replace but I would strongly advise subscribing to the stick and move theory and both you and your partner get away after whacking a coach. Ejection of HC could have been avoided here.

As APG said, I just don't think you and your partner used many of the tools available to you as officials to calm the situation and finish the last minute of the game. And I find it a little scary that you have to ask why a forfeit is a terrible option.

Bottom line is what you had does not seem to be that out of the ordinary but your result definitely was. Calling a forfeit in a scholastic game is something that would stay with you for the rest of your career here and not in a good way.

You basically described a coach who did a quick underhand toss of the ball back to your partner, a dead ball push, and the rest is "complaining, pacing and gesturing" by an Asst Coach who was never told he didnt have the box, and clapping and gesturing by the bench." I'd bet good money that somewhere in HS basketball there are games every week that have much more than this take place and the officials don't even think of calling a forfeit.
Issue all the Ts you need to, send an email to your assignor, scratch the coach, file a report, etc. I just don't see any justification here for going to the nuclear option.

I value your opinion and do not feel like I was attacked. The throw was very hard and even brought the Oh's from the crowd when he did it. Not that the crowd decided the T, I was just pointing it out that many people thought it was excessive.

You are correct he was never told he didn't have the box. I was on my way there while he was yelling at us across the court. That is when I talked to my partner preceding the ending of the game.