View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 10:25am
Often wrong never n doubt

By replaced I mean the SOP here is to switch with the partner who just called the T so that they are not in the T position.

As far as the speed of the ball. The first T was a quick underhand one armed throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
The more I think about this the more ridiculous it sounds and IMO its really an unprofessional way to handle the situation. As noted above, this would be a definite career limiter here and would impact your future schedule VERY negatively.

Given how the 2 officials ultimately handled it I have to wonder if even the first T was justified. The coach threw the ball "very hard." Thats entirely subjective. OP, How did the coach throw the ball at your partner? If it was just a "hard" two hand chest pass that your partner caught then I don't know. Again HTBT but it sounds to me like you guys just stooped to the coach's level way too easily. If the coach threw a baseball pass or really threw it that hard then a flagrant is justified but I'm just having a hard time envisioning this.

Regardless, after the 1st T you and your partner are paying way too much attention to the coach. Stick and move and get the game going. Then with the AC, if all that happened is what is described in the OP then, I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. First you say he was "pacing and gesturing with his hands." Big deal! Tell him he doesnt have the privilege of a coaching box and sit his butt down. Then you say that you told him "if you don't sit and stop complaining then you will forfeit the game." That's awful IMO. You don't communicate in threats. Period. You let him know that by rule, he does not have the privilege of the coaching box, and you address his complaining like a professional official.

Also, you twice say you "replaced" your partner, which indicates to me that your partner was engaged with the HC and then the AC and you felt the need to physically go over and take over the conversation. Did you feel your partner not capable of handling these situations on their own? There are times when we switch positions to communicate something to a coach but "replacing" your partner as in the OP is a bad habit and in this case you made both situations MUCH WORSE.

Several responses here have affirmed or justified your actions here. But you are asking for feedback and I think its a disservice not to offer an honest opinion. This was a terrible way to handle this situation and one that I hope you can learn several things from in terms of dealing with coaches.