View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
An official can certainly "show 'em who's the boss" and forfeit the game. If that happens, I'm sure that the assignor, conference commissioner, AD's, & others "powers that be" will support the official. We both know that the official isn't ALWAYS right and that there is definitely more than one way to handle a situation. In my opinion, If I have to forfeit a game, then I feel like I didn't handle the situation as well as it could have been. It is only the extreme circumstance that calls for a forfeit; haven't personally experienced one in 15yrs of doing all levels from youth bball up to D2 college games....
Honestly, I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think calling the game means the official failed. Sometimes, you have no recourse. Evaluated it? Absolutely, but blanket statements like this just aren't true, IMO.

I also don't think calling a forfeit should be considering a "show 'em who's the boss" move.

I think the OP actually thought it would help to let the AC know what the consequences were going to be. He miscalculated, but I don't think he was on a power trip. Once the AC responded the way he did, the OP was left with no choice after having backed himself into a corner.

That's precisely why I don't like making those absolute statements.

The good that will come from this.
1. HC now knows there are limits to what he can get away with. Not everyone requires a chair be thrown across the floor to call a 2nd T.

2. AC knows when the official warns him his actions may result in a bad result, he should probably stop.

3. HC knows he may not be able to trust his AC to take the reigns.