Thread: Removing jersey
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2015, 11:10am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Had a somewhat similar situation last night. Player V22 was called for a hand check and (surprise) disagreed. He pulled out the front of his jersey and covered his face in frustration. One of my partners wanted to whack him. I disagreed and said the rule pertains to REMOVING the jersey. I think we would have been justified in whacking him for unsporting behavior but I opted to tell him to tuck it back in during the ensuing free throw and not pull it out again or I would whack him. It was early in a regional playoff game. He wasn't a problem the rest of the night.

Would anyone whack him? He eventually fouled out in the 4th Q.
3.3.5A gives what might be an alternative in similar, though not identical, sitch, with A1 pulling out his jersey in frustration on the way to the FT line: "...A1 will be directed to put the jersey in the pants...and must leave the game immediately...a charged time-out by Team A does not alter the requirement for A1 to leave the game." Though the "covered his face in frustration" might go beyond this comparatively mild case and border on the unsporting. Maybe a HTBT?

Of course, I'm sure some will propose their own personally preferred and painfully contrived solution. It's getting kinda like the Biblical period around the time of the Old Testament judges, "Everyone is doing what is right in their own eyes", in spite of established directives.

Anyway, it doesn't seem that going straight to an unsporting T is the only alternative for us.

Does that offer a correct and reasonable choice?

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Feb 13, 2015 at 11:14am.