View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If the officials allow play to continue, that's different. In the OP, that didn't happen.
You have brought up and shown the dilemma in these situations. As you know, the ball is dead when we are certain the try will be missed. Ref didnt blow whistle then. Ball rebounded by A2, no whistle. Ball shot in basket. Then whistle. What is letting "play continue?" How much "play" is that? Is it "play" when only one team moves? In the Op, what if the ball is quickly inbounded by B1 after A2's quick rebound and goal and clock had started? Now it would be too late to correct the error of not counting the original goal? But nobody but A2 attempted to rebound...

In this OP, the rules could consider the rebound and put back "play." The game is stopped in time to correct the original error of not counting the goal. score that basket. Now it turns out that A1 is only entitled to the one free throw he just shot. Under regular CE rules you would also score the put back by A2 because points scored before recognizing the failure to count basket/error count. (the referees counted A2 put back, i think) But the administering official told them 2 shots...he was right when he said it but it ended up wrong and team B was prejudiced by it. they didnt rebound. The case play prevents all this from happening. As Nevada pointed out yesterday. Cancel A2 goal and go to arrow.

When it happens quick like this and only one team rebounds and you stop it, I think you can say it really isnt "play" and get to the same place. fix error and go to arrow. But, if both teams would have attempted to rebound, A2 gets it and scores, I believe that would clearly be "play." When the game is stopped you would count the original field goal. Count A2 put back and B gets end line throw in.
Moral in this mess. Pay attention...always....