View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Change it!

I am with those who say its within the "spirit" of the law to change the foul to the correct player on the correct team but it is not allwable to change anything else at that point. While there is nothing specific in the "letter" of the law that says you can (or can't) make this change, there are a few references in the rules which we can look to here:

2-1-2 makes the scorer a part of our crew. They are their to "assist" us during a game with tasks such as keeping score, tracking time-outs, and recording fouls.

2-11-11 says "a bookkeeping mistake may be corrected at any time". If we accept that the scorer is an extension of the crew then why/how the "bookkeeping mistake" was made does not set aside the fact that it can be corrected. If the official made an error causing a bookkeeping mistake it should be corrected.

2-3 gives us the authority to decide points not covered in the rules and since the specific situation of needing to correct giving a foul to the wrong player/team then it seems likely to apply.

For those who argue that we are prohibited from correcting this error because it is not one of the five errors listed in 2-10 it is important to note that it does not apply to this situation since it is specifically addressing an error resulting from "setting aside a rule" and is not addressing other errors.

Finally, according to the rule book we should not place a team or player at a disadvantage or allow an advantage not "intended by rule". Since there is no rule that says it can't be changed and the mistake will penalize the player/team as the game progresses (fouls out, bonus) then NOT correcting it would be a bigger mistake.

This is another situation that until I see a case play or a rule that tells me otherwise I am going to err on the side of making the correction to penalize the right pkayer/team.