View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

More Fashion Police- (Rolling Waistband on Shorts)

Several years ago I noticed that girls teams were rolling the waistbands on their shorts sometimes exposing multiple logos in violation of the logo rules. I always left it alone as I did not want to be the guy telling HS girls how to wear their shorts.

More recently I've noticed more and more boys players doing the same thing. And even noticed the freshman PG on my alma mater doing this to his shorts in a college game last night. I posed this question to our interpreter the other week and he said to enforce the logo requirement but otherwise leave it alone.

Then this week the following came out from the head of officiating for the governing body overseeing HS athletics in VA:

Uniform requirements - Basketball

Staff has received a number of calls regarding basketball players who are “rolling” the waistband of their shorts, presumably because the shorts are “too long.” Doing so exposes multiple manufacturer’s logos or marks. It is also in violation of NFHS Basketball rule 3-5-5 which requires that equipment and apparel be worn as intended by the manufacturer. Players in violation of this uniform rule may not participate until they have complied with 3-5-5.

I'm curious if other states/areas have addressed this situation. I hate being the fashion police but am glad that the VHSL has taken an official position and we can enforce accordingly.