View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:36pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I agree. I know clinicians and evaluators aren't the biggest fan of this call in general (and especially on free throws), ....
Beautifully timed thread.

Last Friday, JV boys, rivalry game. To my good fortune, the varsity game was covered by a friend, a highly respected veteran.

In my game, A-1 is shooting the second of two free throws, double bonus. I'm the L. After the release, I had a holding (vise-grip like) foul on B-2. This is one I knew I immediately had to get (and I can't remember the last time I called that on a free throw). Whistle, count the free throw, holding on B-2, A-3 is now shooting two, as cries of exasperation rain down from the A faithful.

After the game, in the locker room, my partner expresses confusion as to what I called there. I walk him through it. My veteran friend is listening in, says that's right, but cautions me to be very careful with those calls on shots already released.

Varsity game, my friend is the L. A-1 launches a three, and after the release, he has B-2 with a pushing (significant shoving) foul. Whistle, count the three, pushing B-2, A's ball on the end line. Meanwhile, I'm watching from the opposite end with "hey, wait a minute!" ringing in my head.

Of course, I ribbed him about it later. (The nerve of the JV official.) The point is, though, we were both selective about such rulings. While such fouls certainly didn't affect the play, sometimes, you have to clean things up. If you don't, the night may become longer. Mine was long enough, as evident by the double foul I had with five seconds left in a 20-point game.