View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

So what was the call sequence here, if you don't mind me asking?

There was a foul called initially, but I can't tell if it was for a common push by black or the elbow by white (which I presume would be either a F1/contact dead ball T or a F2 foul).

The two players got in each other's grill, but subsequent to the initial contact, I don't think there was an attempt to combatively strike, so I don't think the fighting rule (10-5) applies here.

For the team member leaving the bench, looks like Rule 10-4-8 applied = bench technical for a bench personnel leaving the bench area when a fight may break out but not participating in said fight. That's a F2 for the team member, hence the ejection. But the team member is not subject to suspension.

So.....how did the officials sort this out? I'm sure the monitor helped.

This is my greatest fear as a HS official, i.e. trying to sort through everything that happens during a confrontation scenario. The nuances of the rules are hard enough to figure out in a heated situation, and to boot there's a good chance my partner(s) and I aren't going to remember every single player that got off the bench and came onto the court, and/or whether they participated or not, and then is the coach going to get ejected or not for cumulative indirect Ts, and then how many offsetting fouls do we have, and......ugh.