The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2015, 11:24pm
Ok is the new good

Mizzou/Tenn Women (Video)

On SEC Network..Mizzou & Tenn. Women..around 3:00 of 2nd half..scrum breaks out with players leaving bench. Were the Penalties handed out correctly?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 10:09am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
On SEC Network..Mizzou & Tenn. Women..around 3:00 of 2nd half..scrum breaks out with players leaving bench. Were the Penalties handed out correctly?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
I was actually watching this game too, and I was waiting for someone to request this video haha.

I don't know why, but it seems as though #11 came off the bench, but #1 was ejected. Just a miscommunication in what number was ejected maybe? I might be able to find out more later on. Here's the video:

Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Cant make out the number of the player that ran out on the court from that video, but #11 looks like she stays on the sideline.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

So what was the call sequence here, if you don't mind me asking?

There was a foul called initially, but I can't tell if it was for a common push by black or the elbow by white (which I presume would be either a F1/contact dead ball T or a F2 foul).

The two players got in each other's grill, but subsequent to the initial contact, I don't think there was an attempt to combatively strike, so I don't think the fighting rule (10-5) applies here.

For the team member leaving the bench, looks like Rule 10-4-8 applied = bench technical for a bench personnel leaving the bench area when a fight may break out but not participating in said fight. That's a F2 for the team member, hence the ejection. But the team member is not subject to suspension.

So.....how did the officials sort this out? I'm sure the monitor helped.

This is my greatest fear as a HS official, i.e. trying to sort through everything that happens during a confrontation scenario. The nuances of the rules are hard enough to figure out in a heated situation, and to boot there's a good chance my partner(s) and I aren't going to remember every single player that got off the bench and came onto the court, and/or whether they participated or not, and then is the coach going to get ejected or not for cumulative indirect Ts, and then how many offsetting fouls do we have, and......ugh.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

WBB layered fouls quiz was timely

my attempt to decipher play-by-play and box score according to MU website:

MU#23 common foul on UT#20. double bonus.
Double F2 Ts on MU#23 and UT#20. Ejections.
F2 T on UT#1 leaving bench. Ejection.

Double F2 Ts offset. No FTs.
Any MU player shoots 2 FTs for leaving bench. Lane cleared.
UT#20's sub shoots 2 FTs for common foul with players lined up in lane (POI).

Seems to me the crew nailed it.

Last edited by pizanno; Sun Jan 04, 2015 at 03:19am. Reason: radio archive confirmed sequence
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I thought if the second foul was flagrant, that it would be the last shot and the offended team would get the ball.

So,

UT # 20's sub shoots for the common foul with no one in the lane
Any MU shoots for the flagrant T
MU gets the ball.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I think you're right. Per NCAAW rules, for all double flagrant fouls, no FTs are awarded. For single flagrant 2 technical fouls, ball goes to the offended team at the POI. I pull the specific penalty from 10-4-8:

"For double flagrant fouls, no free throws are awarded. For any [single] flagrant 2 technical foul, the ball shall be awarded to the offended team at the point of interruption." (I inserted the word "single" for clarification.)

So we had a kind of false triple foul sequence here, as it were. First the common foul, then the double F2, then the single F2 on the bench team member. I think the doubles offset, so no FTs for those. So we should shoot the common foul double bonus first (by 23's sub), then the free throws for the single F2 followed by the ball to the offended team at the POI, which would be the backcourt endline either side of the basket.

If the officials indeed shot the F2 shots first, followed by the common foul shots with the lane full, then they messed it up.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I was actually watching this game too, and I was waiting for someone to request this video haha.
I was watching the game as well and I've been trying to post the video since that night! I'll try to put up a longer version if my ISP cooperates with a better quality video.

At any rate, I have a feeling this one is going to be on the Central Hub. At least four Tennessee players left the bench area as well as two assistant coaches and only one member of Tennessee's bench personnel was ejected. Obviously we can't see Missouri's bench but I would think the crew was asked whether it requested an angle which would have allowed a look.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)