View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Post Your advice to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I worked a scrimmage today with an official who worked a freshman game yesterday and he had this situation:

Fourth period game clock is running down. Team A is down by two points and has the ball. A1 shoots from near the three point arc, and releases the try before the horn sounds to end the fourth period. Ball is in the air when the horn to end the fourth period sounds. The try is successful. Team A's bench, and their head coach, believing that they won the game with a buzzer beating three (they came from fourteen points down late in the game), run onto the court to celebrate. Trail gets a good look at the try and signals only two points, thus, a tied game.

Here's where it gets weird. Official charges Team A with a technical foul for, and not sure here, delay of game, leaving the bench, whatever. The reason for the technical is for another thread (Don't substitutes, and coaches, usually come off the bench at the end of period?).

Here's the question that was asked of me. Officials decide to shoot the free throws for the technical foul as part of the fourth period. A2, hits the first free throw, and the game is over, Team A wins in regulation.

Since the technical foul came after the fourth period horn sounded, and after the ball became dead (after the successful field goal try), shouldn't there have been an overtime period (Mark Padgett is not allowed to answer this question), with the free throws for the technical foul being shot at the beginning of the overtime period?
Did you advise the young official that the T was inappropriate here? I think that is a bigger learning point than the administration error of the T. If he doesn't understand that there was no justification for the T based on your description, he won't be moving much past Freshman level.