View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 06:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I figured that I would add my two cents. Public, and Catholic, high schools here in Connecticut field three teams for each gender: varsity, junior varsity, and freshman. Officials are expected to go by the book for all three teams, with the possible exception of taping up a few numbers to make them legal, or non-duplicates, for subvarsity games.

Private prep schools pretty much follow suit with the exception of having A and B teams on the subvarsity level. If parents are paying thousands of dollars to send their kids to a private school and the kids want to play basketball, the school makes sure that there are teams available.

I've never heard of sophomore basketball teams before I joined the Forum. Football, yes, Basketball, no.

I am going to piggy back onto Billy's post here. Over the course of my many years of officiating H.S. basketball I have officiated freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity in four states (Ohio, Florida, California, and that state up north which is Michigan for non-fans of The Ohio State University). And in each of those states the games were officiated by the NFHS (or NBCUSC when I was in Florida and my Ancient Days in Ohio) and we check the Book. I have only officiated JrHS games in Ohio and Michigan and we also check the Book in those games because it is required by the Rules.

With regards to CYO, youth tournaments, I cannot ever remember checking the Book per se. But in AAU and YBOA national tournaments my partners and I most certainly checked the Book.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio