View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Andy, I'll admit I was a bit confused by the icon. I wasn't sure where the sarcasm was directed.

Coaches at almost every level eventually need to make a decision about trying to win the game or letting everyone play (in) the game.

A church league we work had a similar discussion regarding how their rosters were generated. Some are very diligent about only allowing members of the church (and however that is defined) to be on the roster. Others use some different tactics and call it outreach brotherhood programs or some such.

At the games, their bylaws allow for batting the entire roster, and some teams do that. Other teams hold back several players and only enter them when it is strategically advantageous to do so, even if it's only a pinch-hitting appearance.

Tournament JO games are also telling. Some girls don't get in a game at all. Some may only enter as a CR for pitcher/catcher.

I mostly played prior to re-entry rules. As a player/coach, I'd always try to have a player on the bench available in the event someone was hurt or tossed. Often times, it wasn't an option as we had just enough to play.

If the JO rule goes thru, it may not be long before all age groups follow suit. Many league bylaws already allow for it.