View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 02:00pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Attitudes have a lot to do with what we do. Why do people not work their Alma mater? Why do people not work at schools their kids or relatives attend? Why do people not work games in the town they live?

It is not because they are going to do anything bias.

Heck I got off a game last year where the girl I was seriously dating and now live with, her cousin was the coach of one of the teams. Now I would have been totally professional if I had to work the game. But I told the tournament director that of this association and allowed him to move me if he saw fit. Why do you think I had that conversation with the TD and my girlfriend's cousins? Attitudes. This is just another reason all things need to be considered as well. Because what was the accusation that someone has to answer for? Yep you got it.

Peace
Please don't misunderstand me. Attitudes do have an impact. My argument is that attitudes about race shouldn't matter. Unlike your situation, your association with others was a choice. Race isn't a choice. And attitudes that because of race there should be or has been different treatment are the source of the problem here. Pandering to people's attitudes (with respect to intrinsic, unalterable characteristics) in order to avoid perceptions of bias does nothing to change those attitudes.