View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
The issue came when my partner came to me after we shot the free throws and wanted to know why the coach got the T. I told him and then he proceeded to tell me how I needed to follow protocol. I said "you asked what the T was for and I told you. Don't talk to me about protocol now as we are getting ready to in bound the ball." He said "no we are going to talk about this now."
What would I do differently?...In addition to NOT SAYING what I've highlighted above, I would simply respond: "OK...what would you like to talk about?" (I would try to hide my sarcasm)

Good communication is making sure that a message is sent, received, and understood. Seems to me that he didn't understand what you were saying (otherwise, why would he need to "talk about it now"?). When he tells you why he wants to talk about it - then you'll know how to respond. Shutting him down w/ the "Don't talk to me about protocol...." is only going to make him more upset than he already is. What seems obvious to you, may not be to others.....

Just my $.02 worth...