View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Difficult partners (long post... Sorry)

So I was working a decent tourney this past weekend. Worked in a crew with 2 guys I've never worked with before for 6 games. Had two situations and would like feedback on how to better approach next time...

1st 2 games don't have any issues. I can see we have slightly different interpretations of the new contact rules (one, our R, wants to still give a warning for hands when we have been told not to give warnings) but nothing big until 3rd game. It's a GV game. Some minor differences as a crew in fouls the first half. At halftime our R calls me out for "soft fouls" on and and ones due to new contact rules. I have not had any and ones due to contact rules to this point in the day, let alone that game. He says we need to have a patient whistle and give them a warning before calling the foul. At this point I call him out and say I haven't had any fouls like that AND we are not to give warnings this year. The rules are clear and our chapter has been clear. I calm down and "agree" as I am the only one in the crew that's calling as we have been directed. Second half of the game was crap on my part because I feel I changed how I was calling the game and not for the better. Talked to some other officials who were in the locker room at half and heard our "conversation". They were more on my side of the new rule interpretation and didn't understand why he was calling me out when he had the "soft fouls and ones."

In our last game (3rd game of day 2) I gave a coach a fairly easy tech. He was out past mid court yelling at me about a call I had just made. I called the T and reported both. I then turned around and told my partners that #xx had one shot for the foul on the shot and then we would have 2 shots for the t. I went opposite. We had pregamed to get together with the closest official when we give a t but this situation didn't warrant as it was all one motion really. The issue came when my partner came to me after we shot the free throws and wanted to know why the coach got the T. I told him and then he proceeded to tell me how I needed to follow protocol. I said "you asked what the T was for and I told you. Don't talk to me about protocol now as we are getting ready to in bound the ball." He said "no we are going to talk about this now." I basically no we aren't, now you can talk to the coach or I will but we are moving forward with the game. No discussions after the game (I believe bc we were both ready to be done and neither wanted to talk)

Second day I basically decided to have a get in, get done, get out kind of day.