Thread: charge question
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
well I seriously hope you people are not stupid enough to believe that refs can't be influenced. Maybe they aren't intentionally doing it but they are nonetheless.
just because this is an officials forum doesn't mean we have to treat refs as sacrosanct. I think there has been some very poor officiating that is robbing the players and the fans of good games. I've been to two college games this year and also seen a few on tv and while some of it has been good, I've found there has been downright awful officiating going on. Maybe this is because of the rule changes, I don't know. But it damaging to the game to make it a free throw contest with teams going into bonus with 10+ minutes to go.
Too many refs are calling fouls with minimal amount of contact that was absolutely nothing to do with the play. It can be let go. Some of them seem to be first in a contest to blow the whistle rather than letting the play develop. Just bizarre ticky tack fouls being called, some away from the ball. one when the ref anticipated the foul but it turned out the player didn't foul the offensive player. He was wrong. It happens. The player was upset and everyone knew it was a mistake. The video showed there wasn't contact. How about just admitting you made an inadvertent whistle and let it go?
I'll respect the game, the players and the fans. What I won't do is abide (fully) by the new rule changes. It is not helping the game at all when refs are having too much of an influence on how the game is being played. I saw a play when the offensive player grabbed the ball near half court, he did a quick turn with the defender for a tenth of second had his hand on the player. Hand check called. It had no impact at all on the play. Just let it go. If you are calling the games very strict and by the book without letting some minor fouls go you are doing a disservice to the game. The rules seem all about this asinine ego trip to make the refs a larger part of the game than they should be.
I hope you're not stupid enough to believe that we care what you think about us or our task as officials. I also hope you're not stupid enough to believe that "hometown cooking" exists just because fouls are called against the visiting team.

So your contention is that officials shouldn't call fouls by the rules because of too many free throws being shot? Heard that one before.

The amount of contact has nothing to do with a foul. See Rule 10-1-4 (NCAA) and 10-6-12 (NFHS) for fouls that are automatic. You can have violent contact that is incidental and slight contact that causes a disadvantage.

The term "ticky tack" implies that you shouldn't call a foul even if the rules say it should be called.

Reviewing every judgment call would result in endless games. Mistakes happen by players, coaches, and officials and they're part of the game. Should we have "do-overs" every time a player commits a dumb turnover or every time a coach calls a dumb play?

We have a job to call the game by the rules prescribed to us.

Actually, quite the contrary. We are doing a disservice to the game when we don't call the game as we are instructed to. The hand-checking rules were made to eliminate inconsistency by officials and to clean up the game. Without the new rules, you would be complaining about how inconsistent we are. You're kidding yourself and making yourself a laughingstock if you think the new rules were created because of our egos.

Last edited by SC Official; Sat Nov 29, 2014 at 06:02pm.