View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
Well, on this particular day, I worked 4 games. This was the last game of the night and according to the crowd and the coaches that were waiting for their games to start, I was sucking. So naturally, near the end of my last game of the day, I'm worn out. Yes these we're two different teams with two coaches both as energetic and wild as could be toward their players and my partner and I. But I didnt have problems with either HC. This was probably just an AC with anger issues....
One of the reasons I started this thread was to hear opinions of giving technicals in scrimmages and preseason. Assignors seem to not like it. Veterans tell us it's a bad idea.. But it's what an official would do in a regular contest. Why is there a difference between a T in a scrimmage vs. a T in a game?

And to settle it, no thiese games did not pay, but guess who got free pizza before he got ran out of the gym
As others have noted, there are other ways of dealing with the situation in scrimmages.
1. You can call the T (it's not as big a deterrent in these games, though).
2. You can stop the game, walk over to the HC and calmly explain that he needs to either control or remove his AC if this game is going to continue with your assistance.

In this case, I would have said it loud enough to embarrass the AC, but not yelling. Both benches would have heard it, and my voice carries well enough that most of the gym would have heard it as well.

The T doesn't have the same impact because no one really cares who wins, the coaches are looking for game simulations. Most of these "games" won't even shoot the free throws anyway.

No, you don't take the crap from the bench, ESPECIALLY when you're working for free. But there are more effective ways to deal with it. What you did worked, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

If your local feedback is that there are other ways to deal with it, I hope they've provided alternative options rather than just saying, "I wouldn't have done that in a scrimmage."