View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes you have to go to camps, but you also have to know what you are doing. Many officials have no clue what they are doing. You can go to all the right camps and not be talented enough to work that level.
John Adams years ago before he was the NCAA Coordinator said to a camp of officials, "You either have it or you don't" when he was talking about judgment. I see a lot of officials that just do not have it and it is not easy to develop if you do not put in the time and the work.

Peace
*Ahhh another sagely John adams reference, but I must disagree when he is stating it in such absolute terms--you either have it or you don't. Seems a bit..shall I say, deterministic. But hey....

And yes, I am in complete agreement with your point that it must be "developed over time" and there are "refs who do not know what they are doing". But all of that is beside the point of the OP post...they were just simply asking "how to move up when you are so young". Which I have already said is very possible by the procedures I've already described in the above post.