View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 12, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why? We do the same in baseball. I was working the HS state championships and was the second base umpire in a game -- outfielder injured on a collision, I went out with the coach. It's expected.
Who cares other than a coach looking for an excuse to bitch? Go out to check if the player is injured, okay. But if it was an injury, it's an injury time out. If they talk about something, I really don't care. If they really want to talk strategy, what's to keep the catcher or another defender from wandering near the dugout and have a conversation about strategy.

BTW, in all the years I've been umpiring the exception to warm-ups allowed involved the time delay due to an injury to another player, not the pitcher with the point of allowing the pitcher to stay loose during an unusual delay during the game.

If it is an injury, you allow them "test" their ability to continue after being checked out by the trainer. It isn't a "throw until you feel better" deal. If it is allowed to become that, then I could understand the opposing coach having a reason to bitch.