View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 02, 2014, 12:02pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Rule 2.10.4 states that the free throw and the activity during it (except for unsporting, flagrant, intentional, and technical fouls) shall be cancelled. However, when the basket was made by A2 the free throw had ended, so this section doesn't apply.

Rule 2.10.5 states that points scored, consumed time, and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of the error, shall not be nullified. Therefore the basket by A2 counts.
This is an apparent discrepancy that deserved a full solution. And if I don't hit on it here, someone please forward a more correct attempt to set the record straight once and for all.

My idea: Add the word "legitimately" between "points" and "scored" in 22-10-5. In other words, erroneously scored points, like when wrong FT shooter makes a FT or a FT is shot into the wrong basket, those points are indeed nullified. However, if, during the allowable time frame between a correctable error and the discovery of it, if a basket was legitimately scored, that score would not be nullified.

Would that resolve the conundrum that exists in the OP?