View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzsa83 View Post
I'd imagine no since in the act of saving the ball he is actually throwing a pass, and as everyone knows if you are the first person to touch the ball after throwing a pass you have committed a travel.
Everyone would be wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzsa83 View Post
Hahah with the way you formulate the quesiton, i can guess what the answer will be :$.. after 20 plus years of playing basketball which included high school varsity, I honest to God had no idea this was NOT a travel. In fact, I thought it was one of the basic rules of basketball that you could not be the first to touch your own pass!
Then this will probably blow your mind. YOU CAN'T TRAVEL UNLESS YOU ARE HOLDING THE BALL.*

The issue here is that you don't know the definition of a pass. A pass is throwing or batting the ball to a teammate. So when a player throws the ball, it's a pass if next touched by another player. It's a dribble if touched by the player who threw or batted the ball.

Most people who have played or watched basketball all their lives think they know the rules but actually have many misconceptions and believe many of the rule myths that most any official knows aren't true. Stick around and you'll pick up some things.

(*A player who is kneeling/sitting on the floor, travels if he places the ball on the floor, stands and picks it up. This is the only exception to the statement above and that's because it's circumventing the rule.)

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 04:54pm.