View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 03:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

New Old Rule, Again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When have I ever took into consideration what fans think in anything I've ever posted Billy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I mean BENCH PERSONNEL.
Sorry about the mix up. I really couldn't figure out what you meant by nonparticipants.

The only important thing about the new (old) rule is what the officials are observing. With the exception of the lead getting a better look at the shooter, we're basically watching, and calling, the same stuff that we watched, and called, before.

I have no problem with the new (old) rule, but I am of the opinion that the lead's job will be a little more difficult, having to get a clear view to watch the release by the shooter, whereas before, the lead could use his peripheral vision to watch for, and also listen, for the ball to hit. Now the shooter has to (almost) be in the lead's primary.

I'm also a little apprehensive about several players, all crowded in the lane, all trying for a rebound, getting an extra second (flight of the ball) with the new rule.

Unlike many on the Forum, I was officiating when we went from the release to the hit, and although it was wasn't a big change, it was a little easier to officiate with the "new" hit rule. Not by much, but it was a little easier.

I do like the rule change for one reason, because, now, the high school, college, and professional, rule sets will all be similar for this situation.

I'll adjust. I've adjusted to a lot of other changes over thirty-four years.

I still don't see why violations will be more obvious under the new rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 03:47pm.