Thread: Proper Signal
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

We have had this discussion in the past in Michigan.

What I have always been told is that if the team has not directed the ball towards the other teams court (such as an attack as described in the OP) and the ball touches anything out of bounds it is a touch signal. If the team attempts to hit the ball to the opponents side and it goes into the net and then its the floor it is the signal for where it hit (normally I will always use the ball down signal because I rarely see that ball land out of bounds). If the ball is not and breaks the plane of the net, then it's either in or out (or touched if the opponent touches it).

I think the out call can actually lend itself to confusion in situations similar to the OP. For example, instead of the ball hitting the middle of the net, it hits the tape as a blocker attempts to (but does not contact) block the ball. The ball then lands out of bounds. Even though we signal the point first now, signally out would indicate to many that the ball was touched by the blocker. Signally down ball eliminates this confusion for those who aren't paying 100% attention (which often includes coaches).