View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 31, 2014, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

IF neither foot is on the floor when you end your dribble and you land simultaneously then you may choose a pivot and non pivot foot. You may also lift that pivot foot to shoot or pass just not start your dribble.

The difficulty in the scenario you present as it is a fairly common attempted move in these parts (seemingly more so in girls basketball then guys).

1) You must have both feet off the ground at the time your dribble ends. Most players who fail in attempting this move stall or grab the ball with one foot touching the floor and push off that foot into a simulaneous stop (see point 2) and then try to pivot. So they are in effect using a pro hop/jump stop to get to two feet and then pivoting. Travel.

2) For some reason when I work fiba games and NFHS games one of the strange differences I've found is that the NFHS officials I work with are much more generous in their interpretation of simultaneous then my FIBA cohorts. If both feet come down at essentially the same time (ie. not clearly 1-2) then in NFHS games they tend to allow that to be treated as simultaneous. FIBA officials I work with tend to act as if they are in fact the slow motion replay and using physicist instruments in determining foot contact and elevation. (ie. UNless they can absolutely not say 1 foot touched first they treat it as if the player lands 1-2) I've never seen a directive to be this way just my experience. That players feel they've landedAt simultaneously and officials have determined a pivot foot for them

3) No one is perfect. At game speed, even veteran very strong officials can miss a call. Now factor in how many officials aren't veteran and how many are strong you are getting more kicked calls. IF you try to make complicated movements that by the letter of the law are in fact legal but are rarely seen and look out of place. You need to accept that while it might not be a travel it could likely be called that way in the "it looked funny" school of thought.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!