View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 28, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brblueump44 View Post
So Im watching an American Legion state championship game last night and the home teams left handed pitcher was definitely making a double set. There was a 3 man umpire crew on calling this game. The pitchers first set to a stop comes about equal to his mouth. His second set came to a stop, more than a few times it was rolled through, was just below his shoulders. No balk was ever called.

While Im watching the game in the 4th inning the head of umpires walks up to me and I bring his attention to the pitcher and this "double set". The pitcher does it again, I was told that was marginal. I said "keep watching." The next pitch he said to me "now that was a balk." I told him to watch and see if he rolls through the lower set postion, which he did. His next comment was "now that's another balk."

In a close game we had runners on third and on first base, this action that was being ignored was definitely decieving our runners on first.

So my question is do you call the balk after the first inning or do you let the pitcher to continue to abuse it and get the unfair advantage?

The head of umpires told me if they didn't call it by the 2nd inning that it wouldn't be called.
It was none of your business what they called or didn't call. You just threw your BROTHERS under the bus! And you were a spectator at that. If I was on the crew, and found out about this, we would have come to Jesus meeting!