View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Travelling or not?

According to FIBA rules, am I considered to be travelling if while I am dribbling I land on both feet simultaneously and come to a stop, then proceed to take a step forward and jump off my (non-pivot) foot to make a pass or a shot for a field goal?

24.1.2: A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
25.2.1: Establishing a pivot foot for a player who catches a live ball on the playing court:
- If both feet are off the floor and the player lands on both feet simultaneously, the moment one foot is lifted, the other foot becomes the pivot foot
25.2.2: Progressing with the ball for a player who has established a pivot foot while having the control of a live ball on the playing court:
- While coming to a stop when neither foot is the pivot foot
- To pass or shoot for a field goal, one foot or both feet may be lifted but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released from the hand(s).

So is it correct interpretation to say, using 24.1.2 and 25.2.1, when I am dribbling I can hold the ball in both hands and land on both feet simultaneously. This will end the dribble and neither foot is yet the pivot foot. I now lift one foot to take a step forward – the foot I did not take a step forward with is my pivot foot, as per 25.2.1. Using 25.2.2 I can lift my pivot foot and jump off my other foot but neither foot may contact the ground before I release the ball.

Thanks,

Gary