View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Talking about this yesterday in between games. Utrip tourney but I do believe Fed, ASA, etc have similar wording in their books. Wondered what you might say.

Pitcher had a motion which seemed "odd" (I know, odd doesn't mean illegal). Hands apart as she gets on plate. Pivot foot on and non pivot toe on plate with heel raised. Pause, then hands together at chest. Then hands drop to thighs while she leans back (no step back). Then hands (still together) raise slowly above head, then slowly to thighs, then slowly above head again, then hands separate on the way down, with forward motion beginning and pitch is released.

I'm on the bases and as much as the motion throws me off for awhile I don't think this is illegal. After the game I read the rule and USSSA 6-1-E-1 speaks of pitch beginning when hands separate or "the pitcher makes any motion that is part of the windup." So my question is... is there any motion that the pitcher would use (with the hands together) that could be considered illegal?
This part "Then hands (still together) raise slowly above head, then slowly to thighs, then slowly above head again, "
does seem like a reversal of the motion, I think illegal in HS & USSSA.