Thread: Double Whistle
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 10:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Curious to hear your all opinions of this ... If there is a double whistle for a (hold / held ball), the hold is almost always first. My thinking is that during the loose ball, one official saw the foul before the held ball (if it wasn't before the held ball, that official would have called the held ball). The other didn't see the foul and thus called a held ball. So by default, the hold must have occured first.

Does this make sense to you all? I know this isn't always true, but for the held ball to have occured first, this would mean that one of the officials didn't see the held ball. Given that held balls are pretty obvious to just about everyone in the gym, how likely is it that the held ball occured before the hold?
Personally I think you are over thinking this situation. Often we call what we see anyway. I do not agree that the hold often occurs first. Often when players are struggling with the ball, they twist and move positions. I see a lot of held balls first then the action looks worse when not called earlier. I think all we can do is call what we see and make a determination if something happen first. If you see the hold or grab, call that.

Peace