View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Transitioning 3-man to 2-man crew.

I not sure if any of you refs have encountered this issue or probably have but for me this particular issue I found noteworthy. During the season I do 3-man crew, with summer club basketball I'm assigned to 2-man crews. There's a lot more court to cover---whew! lots more running around compared to 3 man crew. Also, a LOT more walking around to report fouls--often I or partner has to come wayyy over from otherside of court to report foul and in rotation I come wayyyy over to the baseline to replace the ref who went tableside. Reffing these summer club basketball = more walking+more work - less money
I guess the what makes this situation entirely ironic (and amusing to me) is that when I first started in the hoops Ref business I got started with the YMCA youth leagues and it was always 2-man crews and this required continual hustling, running, and rotating but I never really got winded. I guess now I' have become "fat and pampered" by doing 3-man such that the tasks of doing 2-man has become tiring. But hey. . . this club league pays me a game check prior to even me reffing the first game of a 4-game set---so I can only complain to my fellow Ref colleagues
Anyone else experiencing the same with summer hoop youth leagues?