View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Speaking of OCs. Last month in an girls' ASA FP tournament, I was on the Plate and Mark, Jr., was on the Bases. in a 10U game.

Red Team (who is the Visiting team and is losing) makes a pitching change during the inning. The new F1 comes in and takes her five warm-up pitches while her HC stands next to her during her warm-up pitches. After F1 finishes warming up her HC continues to stand next to the Pitching Circle. I tell the HC we are ready to play and our conversation goes as follows:

Defensive (Red) HC: Aren't you going to tell her what the situation is?

Me: What?

Red HC: Aren't you going to tell her where the runners are and how many outs there are?

Me: No. You need to leave the field now Coach.

Red HC: But that is your job.

Me: No, that is your job. (She is now just outside her dugout gate.) I am not her coach, you are.

Offensive (Green) HC (from the 3B Coaching Box): Yes it is your job.

Me (to Green HC): That is enough because you are not part of this conversation.

Red HC: See! She (Green HC) even knows you are not doing your job.

Mark, Jr.: Time! Game over. Time limit has been reached.

There is nothing like a long conversation on a very hot afternoon when the time limit is close at hand.
Trust me, the OH coaches are right, because they told you so!!!

I've seen some serious garbage come out of OH and I'm not talking about the umpires.

I may be wrong, but this practice may come from areas where umpires are expected to be there specifically to allow the players to participate in the game and to be part of that experience. I have always held that the umpires are not there for the players, coaches or spectators, but we are there for the game and only to officiate it regardless of the sport.

You will see this reflected on non-officiating boards any time you mention applying game management technics or rules to move the game along or which may hurt a little girl's feelings.