View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 09:41pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I do LL EXTREMELY part time, but it was explained to me that was this was written to allow the pitcher to be on the plate, but head and shoulders turned sideways to take the signal - and that taking of the signal still counted as the pause required to not be a quick pitch.

If they took the manager's signals from OFF the plate, they DID still have to pause facing the catcher before pitching.

Without this, a pitcher who turned toward her manager to take the signal would then also have to appear to take one from he catcher, which is silly.
Well, I have attended a number of LL schools and clinics through the years. And the instruction we received was that pitchers must be on the plate to receive signals from catchers, coaches, whomever. When they do so while off the plate, we are to instruct them to get on the plate.

Why LL is different, I have no idea. And whether or not this gets enforced at the various levels of regular season and tournament play is really up to the umpires working those games, and the UICs and tournament directors overseeing them. But it was made clear to us during formal instruction what LL HQ wanted.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker