View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 02:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Just make sure in your mind that the initial guarding position has been optained and that the the defender moves backwards or "obliquely" from that point. sideways loses the position. I had a block the other day where the defender had position and when the offensive player recognized it, he went around and the defender went sideways to recover the position. The coach screamed at me for a wrong call but my partner, teacher of the rookie class in our chapter, who had a good look at the play, said I got it right.
Disagree about the "sideways" part,Tim.See NFHS rule 4-23-3(b)-"the defender may move LATERALLY or obliquely to maintain position,provided it is not towards he opponent when contact occurs". If the defender goes sideways,you're looking for a coupla things:
1)Did the dribbler get the head and shoulders past the defender?If so,ya got a block.
2)Where did the contact occur?If the defender moves sideways to stay with the dribbler,after the defender has established a legal guarding position,and the ensuing contact is on the defender's torso,ya got a charge.Contact out side the torso would be a block.

NCAA rule 10-19AR20 basically sys the same thing without actually using the word "laterally". Once attaining a specific guarding position- "No specific time or distance shall be required.The guard may shift to maintain his or her position in the path of the dribbler,provided that the player who is guarding does not charge into the dribbler or otherwise cause contact as oulined in this section. Iow,the defender can move in any direction once they've attained a legal guarding position except forward into the dribbler.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jul 2nd, 2003 at 03:14 PM]