Thread: buried 2nd base
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Worked this weekend at fields that were covered in deep dirt/sand. 2nd base was also recessed down into the ground to the point where it was impossible to keep it clean or even visable no matter how many times I cleaned it. Anytime a fielder or runner would come near it, it would become totally covered with no sense of it's location.

So, no one on. I'm in A. Batter hits a shot to left. She hits 1st, heads toward 2nd and we both realize that we can't see the outline of the base. Runner hits what she (and I) both think is the corner of the base (we can't really tell) runs about 15 feet toward 3rd then looks at me and asks "did I hit the base"? Without really thinking I said "yes". By that time the throw came into 3rd. The runner ran back toward 2nd and when F4 (who was covering) came toward the bag area, her feet kicked up dirt, revealing a corner of the bag. Runner arrives safely. Play over.

So in retrospect, should I have said anything to the runner when she asked if she hit the bag? I thought to say nothing was wrong (given the circumstances). But would I have answered if the bag was easy to see? I don't know. What do you think?
No, you shouldn't have said anything, but if you did say "yes", why did she go back to 2nd?

To continue, treat this situation that same as a detached base. If the runner is anywhere in the vicinity of where the base is supposed to be, consider the base touched and move on. As referring to vicinity, I'm not talking about cutting a corner by 10'. A runner usually has a pretty good idea where the base should be. If anyone wants to argue, they should take it up with the TD/complex owner/ground crew. It is NOT the umpire job to maintain the field and obviously it is not something that you can rectify.