View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 23, 2000, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Normally, our younger guys work JV and middles school ball. I may be several years before they move up to varsity. But the cream usually rises to the top. As far as holding people back, some new officials grasp rules and mechanics very quickly. But the experience isn't there. That only comes with time.

I've seen some of the guys working JV ball who think they should be working varsity when they probably should still be working middle school. What do I see? I see officials who...

...do not understand that a player must control the ball in order to travel.
...do not understand the difference in a fumble and a dribble.
...do not police shirt tails and shorts.
...have sloppy mechanics.
...call 3 seconds a half dozen times a game.
...do not call palming and carrying the ball.

Those are just a few things that come to mind. These are items that we talk about in clinics constantly, yet it doesn't seem to sink in. We continue to work with these but some just don't grasp an understanding of when to blow and when not to blow.

Many who quit after a couple of years don't have what it takes to become a quality official. I'm sure there are situations where injustices occur. The cream should rise to the top. Our association is not in a position to lose good officials. But there are a lot of guys who have been around several years who just aren't improving. Do they desire to work middle school games the rest of their life?