View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2014, 11:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Travelin' Man ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I do not have a travel on that one. When she got the ball, she was as much on her butt as her side and only stabilized herself into the most natural position.
I can agree with your call, but not with your reasoning. "Stabilized herself into the most natural position" is neither part of the rule, nor is it part of the interpretation. How about it's not a travel because she didn't roll over, nor did she attempt to get up. She did a perfectly legal maneuver, sitting straight up after gaining control of the ball while flat on her back.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control.
A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without
violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once
A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises
and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

4.44.5 SITUATION D: A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact
with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling
violation? RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up
while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble
and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or call
a time-out from that position.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 11:56pm.