View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2014, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

What states play/don't play middle school football

By middle school, I mean the schools themselves have teams and actual games worked by officials.

The reason I ask is that on another forum, there's a thread on soccer club/academy taking over the sport at the HS level that I've posted on. One guy says this sort of thing happens in certain parts of the south with regards to middle school football -- by this sort of thing, I mean club and select team coaches are getting football players to not play for their school but for them. I seem to recall someone on here saying that in their state, there isn't any middle school football -- just city leagues (if that, even).

Just curious.

In Texas, btw, there is most definitely middle school football. We work UIL (state association) games for 7th and 8th grade teams. In metro areas, there are 2 or even 3 teams per grade and in some school districts, they have one or two rounds of "playoffs" crowning what amounts to a city champion. In other parts of the state with smaller schools, they play 7/8 or just jr. high on Thursday nights with the JV. You don't need to get this detailed, I just added this paragraph for those interested.