View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 05, 2014, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would accept that variance in judgment if not for this line:

"She doesn't get the benefit of two steps for being out of control or unaware".

So she wasn't running fast enough (according to his post), and she was blind to the screen (also according to the quote above). So I'm wondering what situation it would take for the screenee to get the benefit of 2 steps.
I guess in my mind the situation that I'm giving full 2 steps to is a situation where the player has no chance to see or stop in time so I'm giving them the maximum time to have something communicated or for them to change their route or angle. Ie a player back pedaling hard but couldn't possibly see a screener coming directly at their back. This screener should be giving two steps of room.

This does bring up a point about "blind screens" that's been rumbling around in my head. Obviously players can't run around with their eyes closed but when I think about blind screens I've always interpreted that as a screen that is set to a players back where they are incapable of seeing the screen. If a player positions themselves in another periferal vision but the other just doesn't see them because they are not aware I don't see that as the same thing.

In the case of the OP she is not looking in the direction she's running I don't consider that a "blind screen".

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!