View Single Post
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 03:44pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Not saying I wouldn't try to figure out a way to get this out...

But compare this to a pitcher or catcher or fielding a ball and racing a runner to the plate. Runner, seeing the fielder about to collide with them, non-maliciously tries to push their way to the plate. This would not be interference... at least not a violation of any of the rules that are listed as an out in the interference rule. There's not even one of those rules that could be semantically stretched to get an out in a case like this.
So, if a runner intentionally A-Rods the fielder's glove to knock the ball out of it on a tag attempt, you wouldn't call an out for interference because the interference rule doesn't list this as such? Couldn't you go back to the basic definition of Interference and state that the runner clearly hindered the fielder attempting to execute a play, which, in turn, is defined as an attempt to retire an offensive player?

I'm not suggesting that there was interference in the OP. But when a runner obviously shows intent to grab, push, trip, or slap at a defender who has possession of the ball and is heading toward that runner or the bag, I don't see how this could be construed as "just softball."
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker