Thread: D3K differences
View Single Post
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 12:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
.I work occassionaly with a group of umpires at our local park. Multiple softball and baseball leagues. One softball league uses rules from ASA and one from usssa. Our baseball leagues uses OBR (Legion). I have only ever been sanctioned for fed and NCAA softball and both were 5+ years ago.

Under the various codes when is a batter declared out after a dropped 3rd strike if s/he does not go to first? Leaves home area? Enters dugout? "Abandons" (interp please)? I am doing a little presentation on D3K differences, interpretations, and mechanics at next Wednesday's meeting because the coaches complained to our uic that there wasn't consistency, so we are trying to line up our ducks.thanks for your time
OBR has recently changed the rule to consider the BR out if he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate. I don't know for sure how far down the chain of OBR-based organizations like Legion, U-Trip, Babe Ruth, etc., that change has been adopted. I do know that Little League baseball (and, as an extension, LL Softball) still requires the BR to enter the dugout or other dead ball area.

The "abandon" interp deals with the umpire judging that the BR has exhibited no effort to advance to first, mostly when the inning ends. For example, if the BR happens to be the shortstop, and he/she starts heading for that position while a teammate brings him/her the glove, you can easily judge that the BR has abandoned the effort to advance. Judgments on abandonment get more tricky when the BR stays near home plate or heads for his/her dugout. Most umpires won't make an out call until the BR clearly shows no intent to go to first.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker