Thread: Run Scores?
View Single Post
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 11:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The rules regarding re-instating forces are in the section regarding runners. These same rules are not mirrored in the section regarding batter-runner (even though most rules ARE mirrored there). This indicates to me that there's nothing to reinstate here. BR HAS reached first base. The BR was not put out prior to reaching first base. I see no rules justification for nullifying this run. In any of the rulesets to be honest.
So, to follow-up on this premise, if the BR happens to retreat back toward home for whatever reason, she cannot be retired by tagging first base? She has to be tagged while off the base?

I find this premise hard to believe. The rules clearly state that a runner who scores and then retreats back to third base does not nullify the touch of home. There is nothing that says a BR who touches first and then retreats back toward home does not nullify the touch of first. If this were true, you would expect a similar ruling.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker