View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 08:06am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Pre-judging who and what?

MTD, Sr.
Seems pretty obvious to me. You're prejudging that a coach who is also a sports official should know better than to argue his/her position during a game, and you're giving him/her no slack, whereas you might give a coach who acts similarly but doesn't officiate a bit more leeway.

You should treat everyone equally. A coach is just a coach for that game. It shouldn't matter to the game's officials what they do in other games. Clean slate is how you should handle it.

Have you ever coached your kid while you were an official? I have, and believe me, it's not easy to bite your tongue when you see your team get wronged by an official. I can tolerate the occasional banger that doesn't go our way, or the close pitch that I thought was missed. But when I see things as Mike described that are clearly a result of an umpire not doing his/her job out there, like the PU not watching for a swipe tag at first base or the BU not watching for a proper tag-up, that's not going to keep me quiet. I know if I were the umpire with that excuse, I would deserve a bit of an ass-chewing from the coach, and I would allow the vent, regardless if he/she is also an official or not.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker