View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:20am
This IS My Social Life

Working with NCAA-W Lead Officials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
The lead should work wide to mirror the ball. When they are wide with the ball they can have a peripheral view of both the shot taken in the corner and their primary coverage area (the lane/post). Thus allowing the effective coverage of the play from the trail's perspective and the lead's secondary coverage area to provide a correct secondary cadence whistle from the lead.
I found this to be superbly and succinctly stated.

Interesting condition sometimes occurs later in games with me at T and the L being an official who works NCAA-W. Though we pregame the NFHS mechanic, it seems they, after a half or so, revert to L taking observation of that shot. Really very simple compensation step -- T widens his view to briefly observe what's going on low in the paint as L's attention centers on the defender going up for the block. The good NCAA-W officials seem to shift readily back down low after things are over with the shot and they cover their area without watching the flight of the ball. That's how it seems anyway. Not sure if it's all according to Hoyle, but that's how it feels like it works out, and all bases are covered.
Now, if I could just get them to resist reporting foul numbers two-handed. The good ones don't. The indifferent ones, or the ones who make an effort to big-time the other officials don't care and do it anyway.