View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 12:23pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yes, this is the key distinction.

And, Fed's rule book is not completely clear, but as I read it, the BR is awarded 1B, and the other runners advance if forced (and, hence, their base is not an award). The other runners are not in jeopardy while advancing to the next base, but are in jeopardy if they advance beyond, and they are certainly in jeopardy of a missed base appeal should they attempt to advance beyond.
I still don't see the difference whether or not the base is an awarded base or a forced-to base. Rule 8-3-11 says, "Awarded bases must be run legally." That implies to me that if a runner passes an awarded base and misses it, she is subject to a live ball appeal. And 8-3-4 says that passing a base is considered touching that base, even for awarded bases. Again, the implication to me is that a live ball appeal of the runner for passing and missing an awarded base is viable.

Say the batter-runner overruns first base on a walk, and misses the base in the process. If the defense appeals her miss by either tagging her or the base before she returns, is she not subject to an Out call? If not, why not? What rule protects her here? And if she is subject to an Out call, why wouldn't the same be true at any other base, including home?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker